[techtalk] More XP vs UML

Julie jockgrrl at ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 1 11:50:00 EST 2001

From: BiOFH <biofh at biofh.org>
> Hehehe ...to avoid those uncomfortable moments months later when they
> say "OK, now we want to add X and put this baby live on the
> Internet"? And the programmers reply "Uhh... couldn't you have told
> us this 'before' we did it all with UDP instead of TCP"?

Those "uncomfortable moments" could have been avoided if
the I/O functions were properly encapsulated in the first place.

It =never= should be the case that you can't change from UDP
to TCP to carrier pigeon to Pony Express without little more
than changing a very small number of routines.

-- Julie.