[techtalk] Does there exist...?

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Sat Sep 30 12:49:20 EST 2000

Here's what we do:

<client> is the box you want to run the apps *from* and <server> is the
box you want to run apps *on* (i.e. where they should display)

ssh <client>
export DISPLAY='server:0.0'

on <server>
xhost +client

then on <client>
run your x apps... they will display on your <server> box :o)

In your ssh setup you have to make sure you have X11Forwarding enabled.
For OpenSSH this is in /etc/ssh/sshd_config ... I think in most
distributions of OpenSSH it is disabled by default, and you should be able
to specify exactly what hosts are able to connect instead of the whole
universe (xhost does some regulating of this also).

I've only done it through SSH, and only from my work machine as client and
home machine as server (or vice versa)... my husband does it through SSH
on his lab network at work. It seems a little slow, but that could be my
hardware, it doesn't seem so slow on my husband's lab where the server is
a big ol' SMP machine and the clients are decent :o)

-nicole

At 18:14 on Sep 29, Olivier Tharan combined all the right letters to say: