[techtalk] Does there exist...?

Samuel Lavenz johngalt at io.com
Wed Sep 27 11:38:56 EST 2000

Okay, in comparison to my last post, this will look puny.  ::chuckle::

I am preparing to set up a network on a 384 synchronous DSL (YAY!)...as
that approaches, I am curious of something.

There is a niftycool program called 'screen' that allows me to detatch a
console program from the current tty and reattach it elsewhere.  This
functionally serves as a way to login to my server from work, start an
ircII session, detatch, logout, go home, login from home, and
reattach...so that nobody on IRC never knows I left.  This is a very cool,
and useful program.  I love screen.  It makes me happy and joyous.

My question is this: Does there exist such a beast for X apps?

Being as X is a server-client system, one should theoretically be able to
do the same thing.  Via an ssh connection you launch an X app.  It
connects to my local box and displays there.  In theory one should be able
to wrap that in a program that allows you to disconnect it and reconnect
it in the same manner as screen allows you to do for console apps.

I don't think such a program exists, but am curious if I'm wrong.

Does anybody know if there is such a beast?

	               Sam Lavenz -- KC0BUH
		          johngalt at io.com

     "I recognize no obligations toward men except one: to respect their
              freedom and to take no part in a slave society"
                   -- Ayn Rand -- _The Fountainhead_ --