[techtalk] The general case of installing a non-Debian thingie on a Debian system

Dan Nguyen nguyend7 at cse.msu.edu
Tue Sep 19 18:57:40 EST 2000

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 10:38:23AM -0500, J-Mag Guthrie wrote:
> The specific case, Gnapster 1.3.11.
>
> I've never installed a non-Debian anything and I'm paranoid.
> Especially since I have 1.3.10 installed and I can envision
> scenarios where I lose what functionality I've achieved.
>
> Can someone point me to a good URL/HOWTO/whatever about how to do
> this sort of thing?

If you are only interested in using a more up to date version of
Gnapster, I suggest installing the helixcode version of gnapster which
is has 1.3.12 packaged.  Or you could use 1.3.11 packaged in Woody.

You can simply install the precompiled packages which means you will
need to install additional packages (easily handled by apt).  Or you
can get the source package and build the package yourself (which apt
can do as well).

Running the helixcode version will probably be the easiest.

--
     Dan Nguyen     |  It is with true love as it is with ghosts;
  nguyend7 at msu.edu  |  everyone talks of it, but few have seent it.