[techtalk] Mail configurations

Mary Gardiner mgardiner at student.usyd.edu.au
Mon Sep 18 10:22:06 EST 2000

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 12:12:08AM +0200, Sunnanvind Briling wrote:
> The problem is that some of the mail won't get through; it complains that
> "reverie does not exist". reverie is the name I arbitrarily chose as my
> localhost name, and of course it doesn't exist as a locator.
> The question is, of course, how do I config exim properly for a situation like this?

I don't think this will completely solve our problem (I eventually solved
a similar one by using my ISP as a gateway which you say isn't an
option) but this will certainly help:

in /etc/exim.conf set "trusted_users = your_account_name_here" - this list
is colon-separated if there are accounts there already - this will stop it
attaching a Sender header which will obviously be difference from your
>From address and causes mail to be rejected.

Also it might be an idea to set qualify_domain to localhost rather than to
a made-up name, since the reverse DNS certainly fails on that.

If this doesn't work, and it may well not completely solve the problem - I
can only point to the faq at www.exim.org which is one of the lengthiest
I've ever seen so might well address the problem.

Mary.