[techtalk] RE: Harddrive problems with Lilo

Eva Fenrich eva at faveve.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Sep 12 15:08:15 EST 2000

Hi!
On Fri, Sep 08, 2000 at 12:56:31PM -0400, Lyric . wrote:
> After completely installing Linux (and making a Linux boot disk) you then
> install Windows NT4.  This will overwrite the existing Linux mbr,  no worrie
> though, you want this.

I think it does not matter which OS you install first just install
LILO not in the MBR but on the first part of your linux-partition.

> After NT4 is installed, you edit the Windows NT4 OS Loader configuration and
> add certain files from your floppy (I can't remember right now what they
> are) and then that adds an entry for Linux as an option.  The standard
> default will no doubt be Windows NT,  this can be changed.

you just do:
# dd if=/dev/hdaX of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
# mcopy /bootsect.lnx a:
Then you boot NT and copy bootsect.lnx to your drive c:
then you edit the boot.ini (it is read only so you ight have to do
this (in the DOSbox):
C:\attrib -s -r c:\boot.ini

edit the boot.ini like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation ...
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation ...
C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Linux"
then change the attributes back:
C:\attrib +s +r c:\boot.ini

> But, what will happen on bootup, is the Windows NT 4 OS Loader will pop up
> and give you the option of NT4 or Linux.  if you select Linux, it should
> load Lilo and boot right into Linux,  no problems.

> Here is a link I found for you to browse through,  it might help, it might
> not.  Can't say i didn't try...

> http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/MultiOS-HOWTO.html
see also
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html