[techtalk] RE: Harddrive problems with Lilo

Lyric . lyric340 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 8 13:56:31 EST 2000

I know that the best and easiest way to do what you desire is to wipe
everything out, and install Linux first,  being sure to et aside the
drive(s) that you want for NT with either no partition on them at all,  or
blank partitions.  (Some linux distros have installers that freak when there
is  that much unpartitioned space apparently,  though I've never had that
problem.

After completely installing Linux (and making a Linux boot disk) you then
install Windows NT4.  This will overwrite the existing Linux mbr,  no worrie
though, you want this.

After NT4 is installed, you edit the Windows NT4 OS Loader configuration and
add certain files from your floppy (I can't remember right now what they
are) and then that adds an entry for Linux as an option.  The standard
default will no doubt be Windows NT,  this can be changed.

But, what will happen on bootup, is the Windows NT 4 OS Loader will pop up
and give you the option of NT4 or Linux.  if you select Linux, it should
load Lilo and boot right into Linux,  no problems.

Here is a link I found for you to browse through,  it might help, it might
not.  Can't say i didn't try...

http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/MultiOS-HOWTO.html

Good luck at any rate.