[techtalk] serial port...how to move modem?

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Fri Sep 8 18:35:44 EST 2000

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 10:19:54PM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
K. Ziel thought:
> If I look in my ppp settings, my modem is designated as /dev/modem which is a
> link to /dev/ttyS0, so I changed that to point to /dev/ttyS1, and it couldn't
> communicate with my modem any longer.
>
> Where do I need to go to change what port the modem is using, or how do I
> configure the ttyS1 port to be able to be used by the modem?

Er.

Unplug modem cable from external COM1 port and plug in to external COM2
port?

If this is an internal modem, you've got to look at the switch settings on
the modem card.  These will vary according to which modem you have.

Are there any other ttyS0x ports listed?  If these are the only two, then
you either have an external modem or you have an internal modem and an on-board
COM port disabled in CMOS

> and I also checked my dmesg output for what ports were being configured for
> which IRQs, and I got the following output which seems to be fairly standard :
> ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

Domestic Sysadmin :-)