[techtalk] serial port...how to move modem?

Kristin Ziel zoop at sound.scc.net
Fri Sep 8 10:54:24 EST 2000

right...i changed the link back when it failed to function properly.

> So changing the link only tells your software where you think the
> modem is.  It's the equivalent of changing the modem setting in ppp
> from /dev/ttyS0 to /dev/ttyS1 (but it's more convenient because
> you can change the link once and any program that uses /dev/modem
> will know). If you still want to use your modem on ttyS0, simply
> change the link back.

i wanted to move my modem so that I could use /dev/ttyS0 for my palmpilot
hotsync.  For some reason, I thot that moving my modem to ttyS1 would be
the easiest way to solve the problem <trying to sync on ttyS1 didn't work;
the craddle never made contact with my puter>.

> If you do want to move your modem (why do you want to do that
> again?) you need to configure the modem itself, but setting
> jumpers, using isapnp, etc.  I assume you know how to do this,
> since you apparently got it configured at least once.

My modem was configured during my install, and so I've never had to
actually configure it myself.  I will try isapnp and pray :)

Thanks!

Kristin