[techtalk] RE: Harddrive problems with Lilo

Eric Baudais drake at x8b4e5002.dhcp.okstate.edu
Fri Sep 8 01:31:10 EST 2000

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 11:24:54PM -0400, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> Hmm, okay, installing RH 6.2 entirely onto SCSI device 1 worked like a
> charm. Now I have a different problem: getting NT 4.0 onto SCSI device 0
> (the 9.1 GB drive)... here's what happens (I don't pretend to think I or
> anyone else on this list is/wants to be an NT guru, but bear with me :)

Goodness, I hope I don't become one...

> 1. Boot system with NT setup floppy inserted
> 2. NT chugs through its initial round of setup: loading drivers,
> partitioning (FAT 16) and formatting SCSI 0, and then loading some files
> from the CD-ROM.
> 3. Next, the "restart your system & install will continue" prompt from NT.
> Fine, I restart, having removed any & all floppy/CD media from the disk
> drives.
> 4. Upon reboot, I get the LILO: prompt, hitting <tab> gives me only the
> 'linux' and 'linux-up' options, so it appears that I need to fiddle with a
> lilo file (lilo.conf?) to let it understand that there's an NT OS extant.
>
> Any advice on how to fix this?

You need to edit your lilo.conf file in /etc/.  You need to add/change the
settings so that these lines are in it somewhere:

other = /dev/hda1 #or whatever partition NT is on.
	table = /dev/hda
	label = winNT

Then you need to run the command $ lilo as the root user.

With all this done, when you reboot and press <tab> at the lilo prompt you
should get an extra option called "winNT."  Type LILO: winNT and you
should be able to get windoze NT to boot.

Eric Baudais