[techtalk] RE: Harddrive problems with Lilo

Jonathan Katz jkatz at vtlinx.com
Fri Sep 8 00:24:54 EST 2000

Hmm, okay, installing RH 6.2 entirely onto SCSI device 1 worked like a
charm. Now I have a different problem: getting NT 4.0 onto SCSI device 0
(the 9.1 GB drive)... here's what happens (I don't pretend to think I or
anyone else on this list is/wants to be an NT guru, but bear with me :)

1. Boot system with NT setup floppy inserted
2. NT chugs through its initial round of setup: loading drivers,
partitioning (FAT 16) and formatting SCSI 0, and then loading some files
from the CD-ROM.
3. Next, the "restart your system & install will continue" prompt from NT.
Fine, I restart, having removed any & all floppy/CD media from the disk
drives.
4. Upon reboot, I get the LILO: prompt, hitting <tab> gives me only the
'linux' and 'linux-up' options, so it appears that I need to fiddle with a
lilo file (lilo.conf?) to let it understand that there's an NT OS extant.

Any advice on how to fix this?

As always, TIA,

Jonathan M. Katz
Engineer