[techtalk] RE: re: linux mirroring

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at imagedog.com
Fri Oct 27 11:24:01 EST 2000

To add my 2 cents, I use pqdi (PowerQuest Drive Image) to do this, as well
as storing image files elsewhere for disaster recovery purposes.  The only
thing with it is that it doesn't get the MBR, so I have to run lilo after a
drive restore on a blank HD. (I boot to a floppy or CDROM on RHL to do this)

I had problems somewhat similar to "linux freaking out b/c the drives were
different than it thought" when I was trying to get RAID-1's working in
RHL6.0.  I would get the mirror setup, but if it broke and I rebooted with
the still good drive on a different point in the IDE chain (ie, it would
show up as hdc instead of hda b/c I moved it) bad things happened; it would
scream that the drive formerly hda was now hdc and fail to boot.  Granted,
my raid was pretty badly hacked at that point, because I couldn't quite get
boot raid working right, so I was raiding some things and not others.  It
was ugly.

In any case, I ended thinking there was either some information in the MBR
or in an /etc file somewhere that was storing information about location of
drives.  Since the drives were now in a different location or in your case
different machine, even on machines of identical hardware, that stored
information was wrong.  Can anyone shed some insight on whether I'm
completely off my rocker here?

For me, the problem got solved with RH6.2, which handles boot raids much
better.  Unfortunately, that doesn't help your situation.  Sorry :P.

Good luck,
Brian

Brian J. Sweeney
Systems Admin, imagedog.com