[techtalk] Badluck with Pointman

Rod Longhofer rod at longhofer.com
Fri Oct 27 07:07:47 EST 2000

It sounds like it might not have been a problem with pmfirewall.

I got two NIC Cards:  both are Dlink 530 TX Rev A.
We had a dial up from our server using T1 Cable...

While I'm testing firewall.   I don't have direct connection to the ISP.

I use a Gateway (Linux) and DNS server (NT)

If previously you were on dialup, then you changed to eth0, your routing
/ gateway might be
set wrong. Check your default route in linuxconf.

Turn off pmfirewall by doing /usr/local/pmfirewall/pmfirewall stop

and see if you can ping anything outside the box.
you must be able to do standard stuff, ping, nslookup ect before trying
to install the firewall chain stuff.

Then if/when that works. Re set up pmfirewall to use ETH0 and input
and ETH1 as output. Include IPMasq for users behind firewall
(Assuming ETH0 is connection to the outside, and ETH1 to the inside)

then restart by doing /usr/local/pmfirewall/pmfiewall start

Then systems connected to ETH1 should be able to pass thru the firewall
and the gateway itself, ie.. icq ect..