[techtalk] losing time

Mary E. Mulderrig mulderig at speakeasy.org
Mon Oct 23 15:11:05 EST 2000

Hi

<Thanks for all the replies so far>

> How much time have you been losing?

 I miscalculated how time I had lost yesterday when I
posted initially. Right now it is off by 28 hours. this took about
a week+ to accumulate.

> Also, is your computer a SMP one (multi-processor)? SMP is known to
> drift in a dramatic way if CONFIG_RTC is not set. If you are using a
> stock kernel, it should be fine.

This box has only one pentium processor so I have a feeling that the
battery has gone south on the motherboard. I will however
follow your advice and implement the following

> In either case, you should consider running (in order of importance):
>
> - 'rdate' to a nearby, on time server (in a crontab);
> - 'ntpdate';
> - 'xntp'.
> w.linux.org.uk/ma

Thanks again,