[techtalk] losing time

Olivier Tharan olive at minet.net
Tue Oct 24 23:44:21 EST 2000

Le 22 octobre 2000 a 10:31, Mary E. Mulderrig a écrit :
> I have a quick question. I am using Red Hat 6.2
> and have noticed that over the past  ~week  my system clock
> is losing time. This is only apparent when I am in root mode.

How much time have you been losing?

Also, is your computer a SMP one (multi-processor)? SMP is known to
drift in a dramatic way if CONFIG_RTC is not set. If you are using a
stock kernel, it should be fine.

In either case, you should consider running (in order of importance):

- 'rdate' to a nearby, on time server (in a crontab);
- 'ntpdate';
- 'xntp'.

These methods are increasingly precise, and increasingly difficult to
set up.

olive
--
		Olivier Tharan, <olive at minet.net>

Accroche-toi au clavier, j'enleve les shells...