[techtalk] last straw (was directory that is writable...)

stephanie1200 at netscape.net stephanie1200 at netscape.net
Mon Oct 23 15:59:57 EST 2000

Ok, I really need to say something.  For the past few weeks I've seen
requests for help come in about pretty basic stuff.  No problem with that,
everyone starts somewhere, but it strikes me as a little out of hand when
instructions on making and changing permissions on directories are necessary.
 There has been some really brilliant stuff, as well as solid basics come
across this list and most members seem not only extrememly kind and helpful,
but also ruthlessly resourceful.

This is so important.  As critical as learning basic skills, is learning how
to ferret out answers.  Some of these questions are so basic that I'm worried
about the askers' ability to lay a good foundation of skill.

I don't want to be bitchy or rtfm-y, I'd just like to point out that it's
very important to do research.  not only do you often find an answer, but you
learn a lot more.  A supportive community to me is a supplement to good
research skills, not a replacement.  In the past on this list (i've been on
for maybe a year, maybe a little less so i'm not old school by any means)
there have been posts brimming with "here's my problem..I tried a, b, c, g,
and q, and nothing works. what's wrong?"  That's a really respectable way to
ask a question, and also opens the door to more detailed explanations.  I
have learned really helpful and interesting trivia about commands I use every
day as a result of this kind of question and answer. and I guess I would like
to see more of that rather than 5 msgs on how to preserve file attributes
through a cp.  I mean, sometimes "man <command>" is actually an appropriate
response.  Please don't take this as a condemnation of newbies or basic
questions that can be confusing, b/c everybody's a newbie at something and
I'm no genius, but it's just so important to do your own legwork. It pays off
for everybody in the short and long run.

Sorry if this is out of line.