[techtalk] Mr. stinky face icon in my /home/guest folder

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Thu Oct 19 10:54:41 EST 2000

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 10:40:45AM -0400, Phil Savoie wrote:
> A core file is simply the left over of a crashed program, or a program that
> has terminated unexpectedly.  If Mr. Stinky Face offends you, you can
> safely rm the guy and nothing bad will happen.  I would suspect what
> happened was you had something running that you didn't exit before you
> exited your desktop which could have produced this file.

Some more information that may be useful: the file corresponding to this
is called 'core' and will possibly be sitting in your home directory.
You can tell which program caused the core dump by running 'file core'
('file' is a utility that tries to work out the type of a file and in
the case of a core file will tell you which program crashed).

Cheers,
Malcolm

Malcolm Tredinnick            email: malcolm at commsecure.com.au
CommSecure Pty Ltd