[techtalk] Mail server

Nancy Corbett nancy at netleaf.com
Thu Oct 12 15:22:10 EST 2000

MTA is your Messaging Transfer Agent.  According to my handy, dandy
dictionary of computing (http://www.instantweb.com/~foldoc/contents.html),
here is the definition:

---
Message Transfer Agent <messaging> (MTA) The program responsible for
delivering e-mail messages. Upon receiving a message from a Mail User
Agent or another MTA it stores it temporarily locally and analyses the
recipients and either delivers it (local addressee) or forwards it to
another MTA (routing). In either case it may edit and/or add to the
message headers.
---

So, an example of an MTA would be sendmail.

Hope this helps.
Nancy