[techtalk] StarOffice:It rings me

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Tue Oct 10 22:04:47 EST 2000

Hi Anton,

Try adding the path to the StarOfice binary into your own path or the
global path for your system.

For bash, this would be in your .bash_profile or globally /etc/profile
For csh, this would be your .cshrc or globally /etc/csh.cshrc

These might differ by system (the global locations).

You would have a line (and you probably already have one) that says (in
the case of bash):

PATH="$PATH:/u01/staroffice52/program"

and make sure at the bottom there is an
export PATH

If you are just running a console, to re-"source" the login file, you
could do a 'source /etc/profile' or for bash just '. /etc/profile' (or
whatever file you changed). If you are running X, be sure to exit X, log
out of the console you're running X on and relog in again, otherwise
you'll have to source the file every time you open a new terminal window.

>From then on, you can just type 'soffice' and it will (should) work. You
could do this for your gnome shortcut too. :o) You could also (I assume)
put the whole path to the program in your shortcut.

I had to make these changes when I installed staroffice too. It works for
me :o)

-nicole

At 11:40 on Oct 11, antonxie combined all the right letters to say: