[techtalk] Moving up.

bill t qwerty172 at excite.ca
Tue Oct 10 06:48:41 EST 2000

>  You mean something like this (assuming you have ssh available)?
>
>  	tar cf - /home | ssh new-machine "cd /; tar xf -"
>
>  (you can replace ssh with rsh if you like.)
>
>  >  Anyway, my question is.  does tar keep the files by the owner name or
>  > UID, this would make a difference as if I hand enter the users again,
>  > (moving some actual users to just virtual email) for instance, I may
>  > have different username to UID.  Will the files match the proper UID
>  > with user name?

You can move the /etc/passwd, /etc/groups files over and you'll have instant
users with proper uid. If your using shadow passwords, copy the
password.shad(??) files as well.

What I normally do in this situation is tar up the entire /etc directory
move it over, and selectively change files from the old one.

Bill