[techtalk] Distribution problems

Vinnie surmonde at freeshell.org
Mon Oct 9 13:11:07 EST 2000

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Anthony Russello wrote:

> Basically,  I need a server based distribution, with all the built in
> features of Mandrake, but all the flexibility and control of Debian.  I
> just started trying out Caldera, but their partitioning program during the
> graphical install left much to be desired.
>
> Can anyone here recommend a good distribution which will allow me to get a
> fully functional mailserver going without spending days just installing
> and recompiling the OS and kernel but with all the flexibility and
> compatibility that debian has?

honest opinion? OpenBSD and freeBSD, in that order (then most linuxes --
I'm strongly of the opinion that no linux distro has any major advantages
beyond what-the-admin-knows -- i.e. it's not whether you run slackware or
redhat or debian, but how much you know about whatever distro you run, but
then, I'm a sick and twisted sysadmin, and we already knew this..and
obviously there are differences, but I don't think the differences are
more important than choosing whatever you're going to use and learning it
inside and out) -- but I'm wondering why it's taking three days to config
debian -- are you running into specific problems?

V.