[techtalk] Distribution problems

Anthony Russello arussello at quickclic.net
Mon Oct 9 13:56:38 EST 2000

Hey all.

Currently I am using Mandrake 7.1.  But it's not quite meeting my needs as
a mailserver.  Seems to be too desktop oriented for what I want to do.

I've tried out debian, but due to the 3 day long install process just
to get a properly working box, I'm not too big a fan.  If it's the best
one for the job, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it.

Basically,  I need a server based distribution, with all the built in
features of Mandrake, but all the flexibility and control of Debian.  I
just started trying out Caldera, but their partitioning program during the
graphical install left much to be desired.

Can anyone here recommend a good distribution which will allow me to get a
fully functional mailserver going without spending days just installing
and recompiling the OS and kernel but with all the flexibility and
compatibility that debian has?

Thanks for your time.

Anthony