[techtalk] Re: Technical issues (was Re: [grrltalk] "Confrontational" postings)

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Tue Nov 21 23:37:53 EST 2000

mary at creative.net.au said:
> Well I think Linux kernel is declared stable when there are no
> *showstoppers* - I don't know about no *bugs*.

There will be bugs.  They will be squashed in succeeding 2.4 releases, as is
happening with 2.2 right now.  The thing with a new stable series is that the
user base instantly grows by a lot.  Pretty much the only people running
2.4.0-test kernels now are developers and people wanting to be on the bleeding
edge.  A lot more people are going to run 2.4.0, even though it won't be very
different from the last 2.4.0-test kernel.  The larger number of people
banging on it will expose bugs that weren't seen before.

> But I'm sure there are people on this list who follow linux
> development a bit more closely than I do (says she running kernel
> 2.2.14).

I maintain one of the kernel ports, and I'm running 2.2.5, heh.

				Jeff