[techtalk] Re: Technical issues (was Re: [grrltalk] "Confrontational" postings)

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Tue Nov 21 23:42:23 EST 2000

Mary Gardiner wrote:

> Well I think Linux kernel is declared stable when there are no
> *showstoppers* - I don't know about no *bugs*. But I'm sure there are
> people on this list who follow linux development a bit more closely than I
> do (says she running kernel 2.2.14).

I don't know how Linux-kernel development works. I do know that Telsa's
diary mentions experience with open 'bugs' which are multiply-reported
.. as in, tens or hundreds of reports of the same bug. And I, at least,
only care that these are fixed once.. I don't need the same bug fixed a
hundred times. :)
That's a fault in the bug-tracking process, rather than the testing or
bug-fixing one.

I don't know if the kernel is released known-buggy or not.

> I know games tend to be buggy on release, but this can be ascribed to a
> hardware thing - they can't do extensive QA on hundreds of thousands of
> different hardware configurations.

Game companies aren't sane entities .. or rather, they're well aware
that their audience will put up with buggy software.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com        Jenn Vesperman
http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/