[techtalk] Testing (Was: Re: Technical issues)

Mary Gardiner mary at creative.net.au
Wed Nov 22 10:09:53 EST 2000

On Tue, Nov 21, 2000 at 01:25:38PM -0500, Laurel Fan wrote:
<snip open source scenario>

> What factors would you take into consideration, and what
> would your plan look like?

And where do you concentrate your energies?

Do you subscribe to the 10% of the code == 90% of the bugs thing and look
in the areas where known bugs are encountered, or do you think, we've been
over that with a finetooth comb, let's look here where we haven't seen
many bugs?

With regard to commercial products, open source or not, how do you factor
the "no known bugs" idyll into a business plan, given that you need a
shipping date (or at least a shipping quarter). And you do *need* one -
I've seen products in development without one, and none have shipped in
the last two years. (Well perhaps you could do without one with an
existing user base - they'll hassle you about the release). The
programmers are still feature-bloating (at management request) and hunting
out old and new bugs.

Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner