[techtalk] Desperate Plea for CDROM mounting help!!

ktb x.y.f at home.com
Sun Nov 19 00:42:37 EST 2000

On Sat, Nov 18, 2000 at 10:11:55PM -0600, S. Stubbs wrote:

> Hey, it has been a while now and I have not been able to mount my
> CDROM drive. I have mdk 7.2. I have one cdrom drive, it is recognized
> correctly in the hardware.
> It is IOMEGA Zip650 cd writer drive which is an internal IDE writer drive.
> PLEASE SOMEONE HELP, this is driving me nuts. I went to a Linux User
> Group install fest today, and they spent 6 hours trying to get it to work. They
>  tried all kinds of stuff, even not using the supermount, and it still did not
> work.
> I am able toburn a CD just fine, I burned 2 CDs today, but I cannot mount the
> CDrom drive just to look at the contents of a CD. I still think in my mind that
> it
> has something to do with permissions and links to CDrom.
> Here is my fstab right now, of course the LUG tried all KINDS of config here,
> but since none of it worked I finally have it as this:
> > /dev/hdb5  / ext2 defaults 11
> > /dev/hdb1  /boot ext 2 defaults 12
> > none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
> > /mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount user, fs=ISO9660, dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
> > /mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount user, fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
> > /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat user,exec,unmask=0 0 0
> > none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> > /dev/hda2 swap swap defaults 0
> I have also gone to the Mandrake website and followed the instructions there
> for getting a CDburner to work. I can provide more info if necessary. So what
> now???
> Could someone reply with a personal troubleshoot session on this??
> PLEASE, this is the ONLY PROBLEM I have now, I did get my Samba
> working like a champ, and can see both my other windows boxes.
> IF i don't get this fixed I will have to GIVE UP ON LINUX, since I will not be
> able to view a CDROM!!! I will not be able to update any rpms from the
>  install CD!!! PLEASE this is a DESPERATE PLEA for help.

Here is the line I have in my /etc/fstab -
/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom          iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noauto      0

It looks like you have a directory "/mnt/cdrom"  make sure you do.
Then at the command line -
mount /mnt/cdrom
then
cd /mnt/cdrom

You should then be able to view what is on your cdrom.  If not list any
error messages and post back.
hth,
kent