[techtalk] Maximum users on linux ..

Lisa Mendonsa lisa at phil.com.sg
Thu Nov 9 16:12:14 EST 2000

hi all,
I am using Redhat 7.0 on my multi-processor server.

problem desc:

  when the no. of users logged on using the "telnet" service exceeds
89, the server then refuses any more telnet connections (though rlogin
works)

  in /var/log/secure, the error msg is as follows:
Nov 8 16:32:40 email xinetd[416]: FAIL: telnet service_limit
from=172.16.1.11

email being the name of the server

This happens from any given machine on the network.

Checked up the source code of xinetd
current version is :  xinetd-2.1.8.9-pre11-1
but could not find any reference to 89, though i tried to trace the
variable service_limit, AC_RUNNING_SERVER, CF_RUNNING_SERVER, there seems
to be no definite place that it gets initialized.
Please help..

Thanks in advance!!
Lisa

		Language is the expression of thought..
	      Everytime you speak, your mind is on parade