[techtalk] creating filesystems - using dd

J. Domboski jdomboski at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 9 03:30:26 EST 2000

You can dd the image directly to the physical device using the following
command:

dd if=/home/'image' of=/dev/hdb

As Jason stated previously, this is a bit copy procedure.  So, if your image
file is a good dd'd image of a Solaris (ufs) partition, then the same
filesystem (ufs) will be laid down on /dev/hdb.

FWIW, I like to use:
dd if=image of=/dev/hdb conv=noerror,sync 2>image-err.log

my input file (if=image) get placed on the output device (of=/dev/hdb) and
if an error condition arises, the dd continues and just pads the area with
zeros and captures the errors to a log file.  The only time I don't use this
is when I'm imaging boot disks and want to make sure that there are no
errors at all.

HTH,
Jane

----Original Message Follows----
Hmm.  In that case, is there any way I can move this image to hdb without it
becoming ext2?

-Sally