[techtalk] last straw (was directory that is writable...)

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at imagedog.com
Wed Nov 1 10:54:23 EST 2000

Emily-

Just adding my 2 cents to the below...the 6.0 version of RedHat came with an
install of XWindows that usually failed to run because a file in the X11
folder permissions were set wrong, though it wasn't made clear what the
permissions on the file SHOULD be.  There were also occasional errors about
swapon failing to start because of insecure permissions, though there it
suggested the correct permissions in the error message.  Either way, if you
didn't know chmod, or didn't know enough *NIX-ease to be able to translate
the error message, you were pretty much out of luck.

-Brian

-----------------------------
Brian "can't route" Sweeney
Systems Admin, imagedog.com
email: bsweeney at imagedog.com

<Emily
<
<PS I have found that some distributions come with directories that
< have incorrect permissions, making some programs unusable. Not cool.
<Imagine running into that as a brand new, freshly installed Linux
<user with no idea about permissions...

<Get your own FREE E-mail address at http://www.linuxfreemail.com
<Linux FREE Mail is 100% FREE, 100% Linux, and 100% yours!