[techtalk] ldconfig and solving your own problems (was last straw]

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Nov 1 13:47:44 EST 2000

On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 04:16:45AM -0800 or thereabouts, kallicat at linuxfreemail.com wrote:
> On the whole this little adventure was a good thing.
> which is aliased in my .bashrc, and if it is, I'll fix the alias so it
> searches a more reasonable path for what it is supposed to do. If it
> isn't, I'll check the man page to learn more about it and see if I can't
> find myself a command line option for what directories to look in.

I was messing around with aliases I didn't want on a RH box just
yesterday, actually. I had a 6.1 box. When 6.2 came out, it apparently
started making 'ls' show the output in colours: a default they knew
to be controversial, so they put how to disable it into the release
notes. I didn't upgrade them. But I just upgraded to 7.0, and the damn
colour thing started happening, and this time, disabling it -wasn't-
in the release notes. And I wanted my nice plain old ls back, for
all my accounts.

I had forgotten all about aliases because I so rarely use them. So
I poked about in /etc/bashrc and /etc/profile for ages looking for
'ls'.

When I didn't find them, I completely failed to follow through and
look in the /etc/profile.d/ directory. Which is where the thing was
sneakily hiding.

Grr!

Telsa