[techtalk] Linux Barcode Scanner & Printer

Marie Fischer fmarie at eau.ee
Wed May 31 21:28:47 EST 2000

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Stephan Zaniolo wrote:

> Could someone please point me towards information on bar code scanners and
> printers that work under Linux?
The company I work for uses bar code scanners with linux and this is what
I got from some short talk with one of the guys who program them:
There are 2 kinds of scanners, the first is plugged into the keyboard,
the second into the serial port. The keyboard ones are transparent,
there's no difference whether you type in the numbers with the keyboard or
read them with the scanner. The serial port scanners are a bit more
difficult (i can ask for details if you're interested). There's also a way
to program the scanner to send some special symbols before and after the
data.

Hope that helps, just ask if you need more info.

--
marie