[techtalk] ejecting the #$%#$! cdrom

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Tue May 30 01:50:02 EST 2000

Once in a  while Linux (RH 6.2) will insist that a cdrom is busy and
thus will not let me umount it and thus will not let me eject it.  After
looking all over the system, bring down X and looking again, I am
convinced I have no process active that has any business hanging on to
this thing.  And none of the other machines have the thing mounted
remotely.  So what the hell gives?

Do I actually have to reboot just to get the @*$E!  CD out?  That would
pretty darn ironic.  Oh yes, my Linux never needs rebooting EXCEPT if it
loses its mind and want let go of the cd!   It is a data CD. I am
running under Gnome.

- samantha