[techtalk] Screen problems in Xwindows

Caitlyn Máire Martin caitlyn at netferrets.net
Tue May 23 15:12:15 EST 2000

Hi, Glen,

It is probably the video card/chip you selected in X.  The information on
the Toshiba web page for my Portégé 610CT listed the wrong Chips &
Technology chipset.  I checked the Toshiba Europe Service Centre page on
Linux, got the right info, reconfigured X, and got my problems solved.  I'm
running Red Hat 6.0 on that laptop, too, and it works flawlessly.

Which model of Toshiba are you working on?  Maybe, if you let me know,  I
can go back to my notes on get you some more specific URLs this evening.
Here are some I know are helpful:

For Portégé and Libretto specs and installation info:

http://www.tce.co.jp/linux/eng/speclist.php3

On all Toshiba laptops:

http://newsletter.toshiba-tro.de/linuxfr.htm

Good luck!
Caity

> I am in the midst of trying to get my first system working. Unfortually it
> is on a Toshiba Laptop which has issues with Redhat 6.0. I have been
> fixing problems with help from the Laptop pages, and mostly I seem to be
> working my way though, but the one thing I am lost on is my screen in
> Xwindows. There are three screens, overlaping verically, and missing the
> right 80% of the screen. I have tried Xconfigurator (which is what gives
> me the overlap), and I have tried to use custom made XF86Config files from
> the laptop pages (which gives me errors and causes Xwindows to start and
> then stop right away). Any suggestions? Is this video card or screen
related?