[techtalk] Helpful security program

Melissa Plunkett mplunkett at tranquility.net
Mon May 22 23:21:23 EST 2000

Hello all,

I thought I'd share a really kewl program with all of you that
I first tried out a few months ago.  It's a program called
Bastille Linux (http://bastille-linux.sourceforge.net/) and
helps you to secure your Red Hat 6.0 box.  The reason I
am posting this is that if you are setting up your first
Red Hat server I think one of the most difficult things is
securing it.  The idea of trying to secure a server can
be overwhelming.  What is good about Bastille linux is
it gives you a really good start.  This is because as you
run the program it explains what it is doing step by step.
After running the program you will have a much better
understanding of some of the major security concerns.  I think
this is a program we will all be seeing a lot of as it
improves and is developed to work w/ more distros.  Hopefully
I'll have time this week to write a full review of this 'ware
for the linuxchix.org site.

btw: If you enjoyed this post and found it helpful please let
me know.  I have found a lot of neat software in my
"quest for the secure box" that I'd be happy to write reviews
and or shorts posts like this for the techtalk list.

Enjoy,
Melissa
mplunkett at tranquility.net