[techtalk] how do I get Netscape configured correctly?

Clair Mooza csmooza at wa.freei.net
Sat May 20 22:29:36 EST 2000

"Jenn V." wrote:

> Clair Mooza wrote:
> >
> > I tried to enter in my mail/news server name and user name, etc.  I am
> > not sure what I'm missing.  It's still not working.  Is there something
> > similar to eh-em...dial-up networking that I need to get going also?
> > I'm stumped.  Oh yeah, I'm running Mandrake 6.0 if that makes a
> > difference.  Finally got that working correctly.  I ditched the Red Hat
> > 5.2.  We weren't seeing eye to eye.
> >
> > Also I should probably mention that I haven't set up my modem either...damn
> > I'm schmoove!  How do you do that?
>
> This is probably going to sound patronising - I don't intend it, but I
> don't really know a good way of providing this theory without risking
> sounding patronising.
> If I do, please forgive me, and bear with me.
> Your second mail told me why you aren't getting mail and news.
>
> The theory:
>
> The internet runs on layers.
> * The top layer - the one visible to most end-users - is the actual 'good
> bits'. Mail, news, IRC, web.. all that neat stuff.
> * Under that is the stuff that does the connecting work - TCP/IP, domain
> name servers, gateway addresses, IP addresses. Most end users have a vague
> idea it's there, because they 'have to put all those numbers in' and 'have
> to pay some silly ISP just so I can get my mail'.
> * Under /that/ is the physical connection: the modem, ISDN line, microwave
> link, satellite link.. whatever.
>
> It's kind of like a postal network, if you want to think of it that way.
> * The inside of the parcel is the stuff you want - your books from
> Amazon.com, or your present from your great-aunt who knits you tea cosies
> every christmas.
> * Around that is the wrapping, with your address on it so they know which
> doorstep to put the parcel on.
> * But the wrapping won't get it to you without the actual deliverymen in
> their vans, and the road network, and so on.
>
> So what you have is the top layer - Netscape - configured. But you haven't
> run the TCP/IP program, or connected the modem. Most 'modem setup' or
> 'dial-up' or 'networking' software takes care of both the bottom two layers
> for end-users, which makes life considerably simpler (but means people
> don't get the theory!).
>
> So now the practical:
>
> I'm just going to do a web-search for a Mandrake 6.0 HowTo for modems. I
> don't know Mandrake at all, but I'm told it's an easy one to use.
> (and just as I'm about to do this, my link gives trouble. Wheee. Life is
> giving me a demonstration of your frustration!)
> I suspect that 'kppp' or 'pppd' will solve your problems. And given the
> difficulty I'm having websearching right now, I think I'll just send this
> with a request to someone who's actually got a /link/ at the moment to
> locate an appropriate HowTo,
>
> Jenn V.
> --

Jenn-

Yeah, hence the "damn I'm schmoove" statement.  Just poking a little fun at
myself.  Would probably help to have a protocol running and the modem too, and
when I figured out that I hadn't even set up my modem and was trying to set up
Netscape...well let's just say that I wasn't feelin too cool.  This is my first
successful  install (third attempt) of Linux.  It's like I have lost all brain
cells.  I appreciate you trying to help me get going!  In the mean time, I think
I will do a little scratching around on the web too to see if I can't find
anything useful.  Thought I would check in here first.  Thanks and let me know if
you find any references worth taking a peek at.

-Clair