[techtalk] how do I get Netscape configured correctly?

Jenn V. jenn at simegen.com
Sun May 21 14:20:09 EST 2000

Clair Mooza wrote:

> I tried to enter in my mail/news server name and user name, etc.  I am
> not sure what I'm missing.  It's still not working.  Is there something
> similar to eh-em...dial-up networking that I need to get going also?
> I'm stumped.  Oh yeah, I'm running Mandrake 6.0 if that makes a
> difference.  Finally got that working correctly.  I ditched the Red Hat
> 5.2.  We weren't seeing eye to eye.
>
> Also I should probably mention that I haven't set up my modem either...damn
> I'm schmoove!  How do you do that?

This is probably going to sound patronising - I don't intend it, but I
don't really know a good way of providing this theory without risking
sounding patronising.
If I do, please forgive me, and bear with me.
Your second mail told me why you aren't getting mail and news.

The theory:

The internet runs on layers.
* The top layer - the one visible to most end-users - is the actual 'good
bits'. Mail, news, IRC, web.. all that neat stuff.
* Under that is the stuff that does the connecting work - TCP/IP, domain
name servers, gateway addresses, IP addresses. Most end users have a vague
idea it's there, because they 'have to put all those numbers in' and 'have
to pay some silly ISP just so I can get my mail'.
* Under /that/ is the physical connection: the modem, ISDN line, microwave
link, satellite link.. whatever.

It's kind of like a postal network, if you want to think of it that way.
* The inside of the parcel is the stuff you want - your books from
Amazon.com, or your present from your great-aunt who knits you tea cosies
every christmas.
* Around that is the wrapping, with your address on it so they know which
doorstep to put the parcel on.
* But the wrapping won't get it to you without the actual deliverymen in
their vans, and the road network, and so on.

So what you have is the top layer - Netscape - configured. But you haven't
run the TCP/IP program, or connected the modem. Most 'modem setup' or
'dial-up' or 'networking' software takes care of both the bottom two layers
for end-users, which makes life considerably simpler (but means people
don't get the theory!).

So now the practical:

I'm just going to do a web-search for a Mandrake 6.0 HowTo for modems. I
don't know Mandrake at all, but I'm told it's an easy one to use.
(and just as I'm about to do this, my link gives trouble. Wheee. Life is
giving me a demonstration of your frustration!)
I suspect that 'kppp' or 'pppd' will solve your problems. And given the
difficulty I'm having websearching right now, I think I'll just send this
with a request to someone who's actually got a /link/ at the moment to
locate an appropriate HowTo,

Jenn V.
--
  "We're repairing the coolant loop of a nuclear fusion reactor.
   This is women's work!"

Jenn Vesperman    jenn at simegen.com     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn