[techtalk] a good perl book

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Fri May 19 11:43:41 EST 2000

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 09:35:21PM -0400 or thereabouts, srl wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2000, Clair Mooza wrote:
>
> > I don't know the first thing about Perl and am very new to Linux/Unix.
> > I was wondering what a good first book(s) would be to start with.  I am
> > looking for a reference book and also for a book that I can sit down and
> > read through to familiarize myself with Perl.  Thanks!
>
> the O'Reilly Press book *Learning Perl* is the canonical first step
> for learning Perl. as you get better with it, get *Programming Perl*

I completely failed to learn Perl with either of these, but as Skud
says, they do assume more programming knowledge than I had.

> or perhaps *Learning Regular Expressions* (?), also both published
> by O'Reilly. www.oreilly.com will tell all.

This is a great book. And one day I shall finish it :) Seriously,
it's handy not just for perl but for almost any situations where
you need regular expressions.

And besides, the owls on the front are cute.

Telsa