[techtalk] a good perl book

skud at netizen.com.au skud at netizen.com.au
Fri May 19 12:44:35 EST 2000

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 09:35:21PM -0400, srl wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2000, Clair Mooza wrote:
>
> > I don't know the first thing about Perl and am very new to Linux/Unix.
> > I was wondering what a good first book(s) would be to start with.  I am
> > looking for a reference book and also for a book that I can sit down and
> > read through to familiarize myself with Perl.  Thanks!
>
> the O'Reilly Press book *Learning Perl* is the canonical first step
> for learning Perl. as you get better with it, get *Programming Perl*
> or perhaps *Learning Regular Expressions* (?), also both published
> by O'Reilly. www.oreilly.com will tell all.

"Elements of programming in Perl" by Andrew Johnson is also a good
beginners book.  It takes a lot of effort to explain programming
concepts for non-programmers, whereas Schwartz's "Learning Perl" assumes
a fair bit of previous programming knowledge.

The "camel" book, "Programming Perl", is a good reference, but
everything in it can also be found in the online manuals ("man perl"),
and it is somewhat out of date now.  I believe a 3rd edition is due
sometime soon, which might be more useful.

"Perl in a Nutshell" might be a good desktop reference for some.  Check
it out and see what you think.

K.

--
Kirrily Robert -- <skud at netizen.com.au> -- http://netizen.com.au/
Internet and Open Source Development, Consulting and Training