[techtalk] Bunch of odd messages

Jeff phaedrus at thereactor.cleptoscastle.com
Sun Mar 26 18:53:26 EST 2000

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 02:57:52PM -0500, Caitlyn M. Martin wrote:
> Me neither, and I have never understood the "GNOME-KDE wars", as Kelly
> called them.  To me, having more good choices out there only strengthens
> Linux' appeal, and is a very good thing.

Stupid Slashdot phenomena.  It doesn't really exist, most of the people
I come in contact with want *all* of them to succeed -- WindowMaker +
GNUstep included in that too... NeXT was such a beautiful system.

> > and in fact I prefer Lesstif.  But it's not convenient for me to change
> > desktops
> > right now (KDE is what I'm using).
>
> Well, I can do it at boot time, and I have a number of different WMs and
> desktop combos in my boot menu now.  I honestly kind of like running

I had a setup with a RH6.0 box where I switched between windowmaker and
KDE1.89 [1] on the fly -- meaning, without restarting the XServer.  I
almost got Gnome working with that setup, but it didn't like being run
after those two had gone their separate ways.

Anyway, with a little tweeking of your ~/.Xclients file, you can switch
between desktops with only restarting the XServer, and not your entire
box (on RH, the master copy of Xclients should be in
/etc/X11/xinit/Xclients, start with this one and play with it from
there).

[1] KDE 1.89 is a *PRE-BETA* release of KDE2.0, it is not for public
consumption.  In fact, it is very broken (the logout option in the K
Menu doesn't work).  Go grab KDE 1.1.2 for right now (I think that is
the current stable release).

--
Jeff

My Public Key -- http://24.5.73.229/pubkey.txt