[techtalk] Bunch of odd messages

Robert Kiesling kiesling at mainmatter.com
Sun Mar 26 15:24:39 EST 2000

"Caitlyn M. Martin" <caitlyn at netferrets.net> wrote:

<text snipped>

> Well, I can do it at boot time, and I have a number of different WMs and
> desktop combos in my boot menu now.  I honestly kind of like running
> Enlightenment with kfm and kpanel on top of it.  It is an incredibly pretty
> and customizable combination.  On older, slower machines, AfterStep is still
> my choice, and it's improved with time, too.  I still run kde/kwm most
> because... well, I don't really have a good reason, other than it works
> well, but so do other things.  It's just comfortable for me, I guess, and
> I like a lot of KDE's apps and applets.  I still change off when the mood
> takes me, though :)

Lesstif is closest to CDE which is what Solaris and the other
commercial systems use, so it's easy to keep all of the system resources
consistent between servers.  I once had a Motif CD around here from
when I worked for a vendor, now I don't know what happened to it.

I haven't tried Metro-X or the other Linux CDE version, whose name
escapes me right now, but they seem to be pretty standard, judging
from the documentation.

> FWIW, I may be a whole lot more prejudiced towards KDE2 if certain promises
> and/or wish list items  come to pass  They are talking about bi-directional
> support, and lack of decent support for Hebrew in Linux is the very last
> reason I have a Windows box at all.  If bidi is included for everything on
> the desktop, and eventually for widgets as well, I could see it incorporated
> into KMail and KOffice.  If Gnome does not follow suit, that would make KDE
> and it's apps the only real choice for folks who need support for Arabic,
> Thai, Hebrew, Yiddish, and any other languages written from right to left.
> For millions of people, that is *huge*.

Bidi works GREAT on Solaris.  The Leim package and Gnu international
font set are great, and surprisingly easy to install for everything
else.  Not that I've had much use for foreign languages, recently.  :)

Take care,

Bob