[techtalk] Bunch of odd messages

John Montgomery monashee at junction.net
Sat Mar 25 11:17:19 EST 2000

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Darren wrote:
> As of this morning I'm getting a variety of weird messages, and while
> I'm guessing they're all related somehow, I'm not sure how or why. I'm
> guessing it had something to do with the fact that Gnome didn't quit quite
> right last night for some reason.
>
> If I try to start Gnome, after I type 'startx', the system sits for a
> little bit, then I get an error message that reads:
>
> xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/darren/.Xauthority
>
> Then X will start, but all I get is a grey screen with the 'X' shaped
> pointer, and nothing else. It'll sit there for a little while, and then
> exit back to the console, with a message that reads:
>
> Unable to lock ICE authority file /home/darren/.ICEauthority

Yesterday, in a moment of brain lock, I shutoff the
computer when I intended to turn the monitor on.  The
results were exactly as you described them.

I did a         touch .ICEauthority	(using the path)
and rebooted.
No change.
Did a cold reboot and everything was back to normal.

Hope this helps

John Montgomery