[techtalk] Bunch of odd messages

Darren Osadchuk osadchuk at pangea.ca
Sat Mar 25 11:08:29 EST 2000

As of this morning I'm getting a variety of weird messages, and while
I'm guessing they're all related somehow, I'm not sure how or why. I'm
guessing it had something to do with the fact that Gnome didn't quit quite
right last night for some reason.

If I try to start Gnome, after I type 'startx', the system sits for a
little bit, then I get an error message that reads:

xauth: timeout in locking authority file /home/darren/.Xauthority

Then X will start, but all I get is a grey screen with the 'X' shaped
pointer, and nothing else. It'll sit there for a little while, and then
exit back to the console, with a message that reads:

Unable to lock ICE authority file /home/darren/.ICEauthority

Also, in Pine, I'm told that my address book is read only, and a message
keeps flashing on the screen every few seconds that says, "Cannot open
file for writing: permission denied".

Also also, fetchmail started fine, but if I try to wake up the daemon, I
get the message "fetchmail: removing stale lockfile".

At one point a message came up in Pine that said that
"Address book directory (/home/darren) is read only", and I can't write
anything to that directory. I have no idea how or why that would have
happened. All the permissions are what they should be.

Help!