[techtalk] help for a newbie

mc mcgonzalez at att.net
Fri Mar 24 18:52:34 EST 2000

Hi all.  I have been reading this list for about a month, and finally got
the nerve to try to install RedHat 6.1.  So far so good, except, I can't get
my NIC card to work.  It is a Lynksys LNE100tx.  I found the tulip module,
it seems to be in the right place (per what I have read on the net).  I did
the alias line in /etc/conf.modules.  Now it sees the card on boot, but
fails to initialize it.  Looking at dmesg I get the following:

Unknown Tulip-style PCI ethernet chip type 11ad c115 detected: not
configured.

I figure I am missing something very easy here, but can't see the forest for
the trees.  Any help or pointers in the right direction would be
appreciated!!  And if you tell me the card is crap, to go buy one natively
supported, I will understand, that is what I had when I built the box, but
one friend has already told me to do just that.

mc
"A child of five would understand this.
Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx (1890-1977)