[techtalk] X/windowmaker

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Mar 23 20:38:54 EST 2000

Excerpts from linuxchix: 23-Mar-100 Re: [techtalk] X/windowmaker by
Nicole Zimmerman at wsu.edu
> Also, it's not the titlebars and menu text, those look great. It's the
> text that's actually appearing in the applications... things like
> netscape's menus and personal toolbar text, or gaim's text in general.

That kind of thing tends to be controlled by the application.  (Or if
it uses a toolkit, possibly that).

I think for netscape, there's an xresources setting for its fonts.
Look in netscape.ad in your netscape directory (probably
/usr/lib/netscape, /usr/local/netscape/lib, or /usr/local/lib/netscape)

Gaim sounds like it's gtk, so you can change it in a gtk theme.  If you
have a gtk theme, look at .gtkrc, it'll probably have a font line in
there, which you can change.

If you don't, I think you can just put something like:

--< cut here >--
style "default"
{
  font = "-*-lucida-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-p-*-iso8859-1"
}

class "GtkWidget" style "default"
--< cut here >--

in .gtkrc, and it'll use the defaults for the other fields.  If that
doesn't work, look for something like "creating a gtkrc theme" at
gtk.themes.org