[techtalk] Bunch of odd messages

Darren Osadchuk osadchuk at pangea.ca
Sat Mar 25 13:39:11 EST 2000

>> At one point a message came up in Pine that said that
>> "Address book directory (/home/darren) is read only", and I can't write
>> anything to that directory. I have no idea how or why that would have
>> happened. All the permissions are what they should be.
>
>Now when you say 'all the permissions are what they should be', are
>you saying that this definitely isn't a permissions problem ?

Hey man, I'm way too new at this Linux thing to say anything definitively
... well, except to say that it definitely isn't working right. :)

>I mean, the first thing I would be doing would be ls -l /home
>and see what the permissions on your home dir are.
>
>By rights, they should probably be at least u+rwx.

Which is what they are:

drwxr-xr-x  27 501      users        4096 Mar 25 01:09 darren
drwxr-xr-x  13 darren   root         4096 Mar 25 10:07 fc
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         4096 Jan  8 16:44 httpd
drwxr-xr-x   4 darren   root         4096 Mar 11 01:07 installed
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root        16384 Dec 28 07:27 lost+found
drwxr-xr-x   4 darren   root         4096 Mar 16 17:57 stuff

>Once you log in, can you do 'echo > .a' ?

Nope, permission denied.

Somebody just e-mailed me privately to suggest that I do a 'touch
.ICEauthority' and then a cold re-boot, so I'll go give that a shot...

osadchuk at pangea.ca                             http://www.pangea.ca/~osadchuk/

Richard was thunderstruck: it had been like watching Emma Peel, Bruce Lee, and
a particularly vicious tornado, all rolled into one and sprinkled with a
generous helping of a mongoose killing a king cobra. That was how she moved.
That was how she fought.