[techtalk] Outlook woes

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Mar 22 13:38:26 EST 2000

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 03:27:12PM +0800 or thereabouts, dez wrote:
> thanx ..jeff......BTW all yours are cpoming thru as an attachment  which i
> thought was odd...
> so thats what mine were doing eh?
> yep i agree...dont get me started on outlook !!!!!!!!...owww
[snip]
> dez
[snip]

This isn't intended as a flame about mail or aimed at anyone in
particular. The combination of the comment on Outlook and an
email from my sister simultaneously just put it into my head.

My sister is forced to use Outlook at work and got fed up of not
being able to snip and quote messages as she was wont to do with
Unix-like mailers. She figured out how to get it to let her quote
things at the top and insert her comments at the appropriate
stages rather than put up with doing her reply first with the
message she was replying to stuck down at the bottom, which irks
some people. (I used to use elm when it didn't have the ability
to scroll backwards through a message, so I sympathise with this
a lot!)

Would it help anyone if I get her to describe how to force it to
behave itself? Or is there someone on the list who knows how and
who can summarise?

Actually, a brilliant FAQ entry would be:
	I have mailer XYZ. How do I...
	o Make it do lines of 72 or so characters?
	o Stop it putting the quoted message at the bottom?
	o Stop it defaulting to "HTML mail" or multipart mime stuff?

If we could get the _answers_ for those and put them somewhere
accessible, that would be even better :) Or is it done somewhere
already? If so, the URL would be really useful to know!

Telsa