[techtalk] Re: od

Laurel Fan lf25+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Mar 15 14:54:26 EST 2000

List seems to have lost its [flags]...

Excerpts from linuxchix: 15-Mar-100 od by Phil Savoie at learnix.ca
> I have a question with regards to od.  In Solaris, the command "od -c ."
> will give ascii representation to the file names that are held by the
> directory. In RH6.1 this same command does not work the same way.

Probably because linux doesn't let you read() a directory.  Actually,
it's technically ext2fs that does that.  Some other filesystems, like afs,
on Solaris, also do that.

> I have
> to use the following "od -c *" which after reading the man page, gives
> information about the *contents* of the file.  Is there a similar command
> in RH6.1, that when given, will display actual filenames in ascii that are
> held in the directory?

Um, ls? ;)
If that's too easy, you could strace ls and see how it gets its
information.

> The reason I'm asking is that I realize that the inode table does not
> carry information about the filename but the directory in which file
> is written to does.  I just want verify this.

Try looking at the getdents syscall, or the relevant kernel code?