[techtalk] Netscape

Jenn V. jenn at simegen.com
Tue Jun 27 11:07:09 EST 2000

"Shelly L. Hokanson" wrote:

> hi carolyn -
>
> just a guess, but i've found that under both linux and windoze, netscape is
> buggy in handling java/javascript.  (funny since - if i recall correctly -
> didn't netscape author javascript?). my netscape does strange things on
> javascript-intensive pages.

Java - IIRC - was supposed to be a platform-independant language.
Unfortunately, as in all such things, a certain unnamed company
was enthusiastic about NOT adhering to standards. (Others were
too, just that a certain company is rather high profile)

So writing Java which works for Browser A doesn't mean it necessarily
works for Browser B and we're right back into platform dependance
again.

Le sigh.

Jenn V.
--
  "We're repairing the coolant loop of a nuclear fusion reactor.
   This is women's work!"

Jenn Vesperman    jenn at simegen.com     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn