[techtalk] Solaris DBM files - .pag and .dir extensions?

Kelda-Anne Sholdice kelda at home.com
Sun Jun 25 00:27:37 EST 2000

In perl, when I use dbmopen / dbmclose to map a hash into a disk file, two
files are create.  For a DBM called  my_dbm, they would be:  my_dbm.pag and
my_dbm.dir.

Alternately, I can take 1 file that has paired elements
	 qw(key1 value1 key2 value2 .... keyn valuen)
and read that array into a hash when I start, then write it as an array of
pairs again to my file when I'm done with it.

I'm thinking that maybe it is implemented slightly differently, but the end
effect should be the same.

< insert usual disclaimer here >

Kelda

--
The dir file is the database.  Are you sure that the .pag files are not
just symlinks to the .dir file?