[techtalk] Permissions

Robert Wade feline at brokersys.com
Mon Jun 19 01:50:48 EST 2000

Yes, Yes, there is =) :

First, there are lots of neato tricks that people like us like to use to
impress people such as 'chmod ug+rwx file' (which gives yourself and your
group read, right, and execute access to 'file') but I'll try and give you
some of the basics. btw, I'm not really one of those rtfd (read the
fucking manual) people, but I'd strongly suggest you drop about thirty
bucks on a
book such as Running Linux (from o'reilly, the tour de force of open
source book publishers). It tells you about all this neato stuff in quite
a bit of detail.

First:

read access=4
write access=2
execute=1

note that you can add these togethor, for instance, to give someone read
and execute access would be '5' or to give someone full, it would be '7'

the order for chmod is (yourself)(your groupe)(everyone else).

so, to give yourself full access, your group read access, and everyone
else read access, you could give the command 'chmod 744 file' where file
is the name of the file or whatever (you can do this with directories,
btw).

An interesting side note would be the 'chown' command that changes the
ownership of a file or directory. so if you wanted to transfer ownership
of the file to another user, you could do 'chown user file,' you can guess
what 'user' and 'file' symbolize.

Robert